Journal of Animal Ecology publishes the best original research on all aspects of animal ecology, ranging from the molecular to the ecosystem level. These may be field, laboratory or theoretical studies utilising terrestrial, freshwater or marine systems.
It is our aim to publish articles detailing novel and important work that will challenge the way animal ecologists think. We encourage submission of papers that (i) make significant advances to the field of study in terms of development of ecological theory or methodology; (ii) address questions of general importance and/or current interest; and (iii) generate ecological insights that extend beyond the study system utilised. Papers that do not meet these criteria are likely to be deemed inappropriate and returned without review.
Similarly, we are unable to consider manuscripts in which the central focus is the ecology, behaviour or life history of a single species; an association between an environmental factor and variation in a demographic rate, life history trait or the population growth rate of a single species; or a problem of primarily local interest. These rules apply to all species – however charismatic your study organism may be.
If you are still unsure whether your paper fits within the scope of the journal, please also look at some of our recently published papers on Wiley Online Library to obtain an idea of whether your work will be a good fit.
Categories of papers considered include:
- Behavioural Ecology
- Climate Ecology
- Community Ecology
- Evolutionary Ecology
- Life Histories
- Molecular Ecology
- Parasite and Disease Ecology
- Physiological Ecology
- Population Ecology
- Spatial Ecology
- Trophic Interactions
See Author Guidelines for full details on submitting papers.
Journal of Animal Ecology is a respected and established publication catering for up-and-coming as well as eminent authors and researchers of ecology. We have a high impact factor, there are no page charges and we have a fast turnaround on first decisions.
- High-impact: Journal of Animal Ecology’s 2013 Impact Factor® is 4.726
- Rapid review: Average time from submission to first decision is 35 days
- Early View online: Final articles appear online in Early View on Wiley Online Library ahead of issue publication, with free colour online for authors
- Free to Publish: No page charges to authors
- Open Access option: Journal of Animal Ecology does not have page charges but authors can opt for a pay-to-publish author service from Wiley-Blackwell, OnlineOpen
- High visibility: Journal of Animal Ecology is available via many university libraries. Articles are freely and easily available in developing countries through the AGORA, OARE and INASP philanthropic deals. All papers published in Journal of Animal Ecology can be accessed free after 24 months via Wiley Online Library, back to 1998.
- Longevity: The Journal of Animal Ecology archive is available on JSTOR (back to issue 1, 1932)
- Online submission: We have an efficient and author-friendly web-based system for submission and review.
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts
- BIOBASE/Current Awareness in Biological Sciences
- Current Contents: Geo Abstracts
- Science Citation Index
- Aims & Scope
- Author Guidelines
- Associate Editor Profiles Submit a Paper
- Reviewer guidelines
- Open Access
- Promoting your paper
- Read the Journal
- Accessing Content
- Feature papers
- In Focus
- Special Features
- Virtual Issues
- Early View Articles
- Top Papers
- In the Press
- Elton Prize
- Recognition of Achievement
Sales and Services
- Functional Ecology
- Journal of Applied Ecology
- Journal of Ecology
Methods in Ecology and Evolution
British Ecological Society
- Wiley-Blackwell Ecology
Cross-journal Virtual Issues